When you hang out with a grandchild, you usually wind up answering a lot of questions!
Why are the leaves on the trees not green anymore? Why is that dog barking? Why do bees sting you? What will happen if I put this piece of orange peel in the campfire?
They are continually curious about the world around them.
But they are also eager to know about the people in their lives … including their grandma. The Tell Me Grandma game is a game that will definitely help any grandma and grandchild get to know each other better. I have seen various versions of these “asking questions” lists on the internet lately, but they have always been between child and parent. I compiled this list for grandmas to use with their grandchildren.
This is how the Tell Me Grandma game works … your grandchild asks you the question and you answer it AND THEN you ask your grandchild the question back.
There are 71 questions (some silly, some serious), so you can pick and choose which of the questions you are interested in asking each other. There are so many questions here that if you don’t use them all up the first time, you could play the game multiple times. Also, some questions lend themselves better to children of different ages.
What an entertaining way to get a look inside each other’s head! It would also be fun to record some of your grandchild’s answers and put them into their memory book.
- What kind of music makes you want to sing?
- What makes you afraid?
- If you had your own pet elephant, what would you name him?
- What is something I always say to you?
- What toppings would be on your perfect pizza?
- What makes you cry?
- What is the best part of being in our family?
- When was a time you felt lucky?
- If you could make one rule that everyone in the world had to follow, what rule would you make?
- If you had a million dollars, what would you spend it on?
- What is your favorite memory?
- What is something you are thankful for?
- What is something you know how to do that you would like to teach others?
- How are we the same?
- What is the worst smell in the world?
- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?
- What is your favorite color?
- Would you rather take a shower or have a bath?
- If you could start a collection of one kind of thing, what would it be?
- If you could, what 2 animals would you combine?
- What is the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do?
- Do you like rainy days or snowy days more, and why?
- What is the greatest thing ever invented?
- What is the most wonderful place you’ve ever been?
- Would you rather eat a crayon or drink some glue?
- If you become famous, what will it be for?
- What makes you proud of me?
- If you could have any super power, what would it be?
- What qualities do you think make a good friend?
- What cheers you up?
- How do you know I love you?
- Who is your favorite cartoon character?
- Who is your hero?
- What is your favorite Disney movie?
- What are you especially good at?
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is something you’d like to learn to do?
- Where do you want to visit someday?
- What is your favorite part of the human face, and why?
- Who is someone you miss?
- Would you eat a worm for $100?
- What is your favorite sport to play?
- What is the coolest thing you saw someone do today?
- What do you like most about mom?
- What do you like most about dad?
- If you could trade lives with anyone for a day, who would it be?
- What is your favorite book?
- If you had to choose a new name for yourself, what would it be?
- Who is the coolest person on earth?
- If you could invent something to make life easier for people, what would you invent?
- How do I make you laugh?
- If you could give one gift to every single child in the world, what would it be?
- What is the best gift you have ever given someone?
- What is a sound that you love to hear?
- What do you do in your free time?
- If you owned your own zoo, what 4 animals would you be sure to have in it?
- If you could be a character from a book, who would it be?
- What do you like to dream about?
- What is your favorite food?
- How would the world be different if animals could talk?
- What 3 words best describe you?
- Would you rather be given a new puppy or kitten?
- What is your favorite tv show?
- What is your favorite season, and why?
- If you had to lose your ability to see or the ability to hear, which would it be?
- What is a nice thing you have done for a friend?
- What is one thing you love about yourself?
- If you could have any animal in the world shrunk down to be mouse-sized, what would it be?
- What game do you like to play most?
- What do you love most about me?
- What is the greatest thing about being you?
Hope that asking these questions to each other will bring you and your grandchild closer together and help them get to know their gung ho grandma a bit better.
Leave a comment below about questions (serious or silly) that you would add to the list or your experiences if you play the game … it helps!
And if you like the idea of playing the Tell Me Grandma game, please share it with other grandmas!